Earthworm Course X
This course will teach the basics of setting up an EarthWorm (EW) system, compiling all of the source code, learning the Earthworm library APIs, and writing an earthworm module. It will be useful to anybody managing an Earthworm system and interested in writing a new EW module, or modifying existing EW modules.
- Paul Friberg - ISTI Chief Operating Officer
- Stefan Lisowski - Senior Software Developer
Requirements for Programming Day:
- Laptop capable of running Earthworm
- A C compiler for your laptop. If you're using Windows, then Microsoft Visual C compiler (2003 or newer)
- Some experience with C programming.
- Background in basic seismology and seismology applications.
Payment of $2400 should be made a week before the start day of the class. You can call 518-602-0001 if you need more information.
Course Outline (time permitting):
- Earthworm setup - basics of getting started, the class will configure an earthworm system with a datalogger. We will store the data into a WaveServerV and Winston Waveserver and pull data out to files.
- Earthworm configuration nuances - tricks and problems with earthworm configurations.
- Basic modules for troubleshooting: sniffwave, sniffring, getmenu, logging review, debug and verbosity flags.
- Advanced Earthworm modules - we will review an existing and running Earthworm system (Caltech) that processes over 370 stations. In addition we will cover AQMS for those students interested in learning more about the new systems.
- Earthworm library - learn the basic earthworm API's for messaging, logging, configuration, threads, and wave server API/protocol. How to make sure the work you do to a library is compatible across operating systems etc.
- Playback - how to playback events for tuning a system: waveman2disk, trig2disk, and tankplayer. The class will work with an existing tank and run it through the picker, binder, and hyp2000 via the Earthworm MegaModule.
- Locating Events - The Picker/Binder and Earthworm MegaModule will be explored and parameters explained.
- Programming an EW module - the class will write an earthworm module that reads in trace data from a wave_ring and performs some calculations on the data. (This will be done if time permits).
We recommend the Downtowner hotel. (includes continental breakfast). Please make reservations directly with the hotel by calling them at 518-584-6160.
The nearest airport is in Albany, NY - ALB. More information on Saratoga hotels and getting to Saratoga Springs can be found here.
Travel from Albany Airport
There is no longer any shuttle from Albany Airport to Saratoga Springs. Best bet is to take Adirondack Trailways:
|Depart Albany Airport
||Arrive Saratoga Springs, 26 Station St.
You buy tickets downstairs at the airport for $6 one way, and you catch the bus near the Southwest Airlines sidewalk check-in.
If those times aren't convenient you'll want to take a taxi. If you need it, the number for Capitaland Taxi Airport Dispatch is 518 242-4222. They estimated the cost (not including tip) would be $60-65. More information about transportation from Albany can be found here: http://www.albanyairport.com/buses.php
The hotel recommends Dad's Cab (518-488-1755). The fee reportedly is $40 one-way, cash.
If you're taking a train to Albany
, Adirondack Trailways Bus Company
, on Sunday evening has 2 buses leaving Albany for Saratoga. The bus station is across the river from the train station. You'll need to take a taxi across the river. The bus station is at 34 Hamilton Street, Albany, NY.
There is a 7:35pm bus (arrives at 8:40pm) and another at 9:50pm (arrives at 10:45). You should arrive at the bus terminal 40-45 minutes before departure. The cost is only $8.25 one way.
The Adirondack Trailways Bus station in Saratoga
is at the train station, about 2.5 km or 1.6 miles from the Downtowner hotel. You can take a taxi from the bus station to the hotel, it's a 5 minute taxi ride. The walk would be 30 minutes, and not recommended unless you're excited about walking with your bags.
Departure Times from Albany Airport to the Saratoga Hotels
8:30am, 11:00am, 2:00pm, 5:00pm, 7:00pm. Times are subject to change depending on traffic and weather conditions. All rides are a shared ride service.
Hotel Departure Times to the Albany International Airport
4:00 am, 5:30am, 7:30am, 10:00am, 12:00pm, 3:00pm, 6:00pm. Times are subject to change depending on traffic and weather conditions. All rides are a shared ride service and passengers should schedule their transportation pick up two hours prior to flight departures.
Getting Around in Saratoga
The Downtowner Hotel is walking distance from ISTI's office (Google maps claims that it is 0.4 miles and takes 9 minutes by foot). There are at least 20 restaurants within a block of the hotel. And it is only 3 blocks to a supermarket. So you may want to consider not renting a car unless you plan on exploring the area on your own.